Ronja came to us on that infamous September 11, 2001, when the world held its breath.

A short time later we had to realize that this sugar-sweet mouse also brought a catastrophe upon us. In August 2001 our beloved Ben had passed away. Teddy and Balu seemed to have come to terms with it after 2 weeks. Rimo obviously suffered a lot from the loss. She was now 12 years old, heart diseased, deaf, she started to go blind and it seemed as if she had become demented. Blue-eyed as we were then, we had no hesitation in getting another bitch.

Again it was a classified ad in the weekly paper that brought us to Ronja. Ronja was 17 months old, beautiful, highly intelligent and should have been called "self-confident" by her middle name. After research I found out that her first owners were a young couple. Socialization in the form of puppy school, education in a young dog group, all this never happened with Ronja.

He didn't need all this, the man explained to me. His jogging partner had a giant schnauzer and therefore he was so competent that he was advised by him. So instead of him going to dog school with Ronja, they could jog together as usual and little Ronja was allowed to run with him for 10 weeks. When Ronja became 9 months old her people got the dog tax assessment for her list I- Ronja. 900 DM/year became due.

Her mistress was apparently so frightened that she suddenly became pregnant and Ronja had to leave, no matter how. So Ronja ended up with a 17-year-old student. Surely she loved Ronja. Education, no way. Leash, a foreign word. When A. was out with Ronja, e.g. on inliners, Ronja ran freely beside her, made uncontrolled detours through the front gardens and so on.

A. saw no reason to be considerate of anyone or anything. So she went out at will and didn't give a damn about walking times or even stayed away from home for days. Her mother, with whom they lived, had a panicky fear of dogs in general.

When Ronja whimpered with distress, her mother told me that when I picked up Ronja, she looked out of the front door to see if there were other dogs on the street. If not, she quickly took a sedative pill, led Ronja to the other side of the street to an undeveloped property and minutes later back to the house. Thus it became generally accepted completely rightly that Ronja was mediated. with a becoming acquainted with us everything ran without problems. Today we say, we were still too naive to interpret the signals.

So Ronja came and seemed strangely restless and her body was hard and bloated. I just had the day off and just went off with Ronja on the leash. She pulled the leash as if obsessed, but was thrilled. Of course she was restless and her body was hard. During a 5-hour march she dropped 8 large piles of excrement alone. At home she got food and 2 hours break. Then Monika took the sweet mouse and the procedure of the morning was repeated. The second night with us we had a calm and balanced Ronja.
A good 3 weeks went by without any incidents. Then, Monika had her first day off and wanted to suck through in peace why she sent me with the 4 dogs to the ball game in the garden. Already in the morning it was noticed that our grandma Rimo squeezed herself into the basket in which Ronja was lying for the first time. This had never happened before and we were happy because we thought it was a positive sign.

Outside at the game the terrible thing happened: The bitches got into a fight because of the ball. It got really violent and Teddy and Baloo went for Rimo as well. I got the boys under control, only Ronja continued her fight. Finally I managed to separate these two and to secure Ronja, Teddy and Balu. No horror novel shall be written here, therefore only so much: Rimo was so badly injured that we let her redeem under anaesthesia at the vet, considering her overall condition. Behavioral therapists who analyzed the situation with us are convinced that Rimo provoked the fight. It was something like the suicide of a widow. But we didn't want Ronja around us anymore. We wanted to mediate.

In spite of everything that had happened, we made high demands on the potential adopters. And of course we found none. So Moni worked with Ronja and made a great dog out of her who was never a common dog and still was great for/with us. She was bursting with self-confidence and had an enormous charisma. We often think back to Moni walking through a neighbouring village. Ronja of course leashed, they went past a property where, as usual in this country, a huge sheepdog lay on the chain and at Ronja's sight.